English Courses - The Foundation of Your Success

Why Start with English in Your First Semester?

To fulfill prerequisites
Many Leeward courses require a grade of "C" or better in one or more English courses before you can enroll. So starting off with English and getting a C will give you more options to take a variety of classes.

To do better in other classes
English courses will improve your reading and writing skills--helping you to succeed in all of your other courses.  In addition to traditional classes, Leeward offers accelerated English courses.

To earn an AA degree or transfer to a 4 year university
If your academic goal is to earn an AA degree or to transfer to another university, you'll need to successfully complete ENG 100/ENG 100E (Composition I) and at least two writing intensive courses.

Which English Course Should You Take?

Your EdReady test scores determine your placement in English courses.

You can enroll in ENG 100 if...

Your placement score places you into ENG 100 or if you recieved a grade of CR, C or higher in ENG 22, ENG 24, or ENG 24C. Or you may be placed into the Accelerated Learning Program (ALP) which will allow you to enroll in ENG 100 with a ENG 22 course. There are also alternative placement qualifiers for ENG 100 and ALP.

If your placement is below ENG 100, you will need to successfully complete ENG 24 with a grade of C or higher before you can enroll in ENG 100.

Do I still have to take ENG 100 if I took an equivalent course at another college?

Transfer students who earned a "C" or better in an equivalent College English course (ENG 100) at any regionally accredited U.S. college or university should take their unofficial college transcripts to the Counseling Office, AD 208, for evaluation and computer clearance. For out of state or private colleges, a catalog course description may be required.

To be officially transferred and credited toward a Leeward degree, you must request an official transcript from your previous college be sent to the Admissions and Records Office, and complete and submit a Transcript Evaluation Form to to the Admissions and Records Office. Details online: www.leeward.hawaii.edu/transcript-eval.

Courses below 100 (e.g. ENG 22 and ENG 24) do not "count" toward my AA degree. Is there any way I can enroll in ENG 100 sooner?

ENG 100 and 22 – Accelerated Learning Program or ALP
The Accelerated Learning Program allows students to enroll in and get credit for ENG 22 and ENG 100 in one semester. To qualify for ALP, students must be placed into ENG 22.

If you would like to learn more about ALP, please contact our counselor, Nicole Keim-Fortuno by phone at 455-0432, through email at keim [at] hawaii.edu, or call the Language Arts Division office at 455-0330 or visit LA-201.

If you would like to ensure that you are taking the right courses or if you need help selecting the right English courses, contact the Counseling Office, AD 208, Phone 455-0233. If you have any questions, contact the Language Arts Division Office, LA 201,455-0330.