Most of Leeward Community College's classrooms have technologies that support and enhance teaching and learning. We have two types of technology classrooms: "Smart Classrooms" and our newest, "Technology Enhanced Classrooms" (TECs) that will eventually replace the Smart Classrooms.
"Smart Classrooms" were the first technology classrooms on campus which included a lectern, computer, speakers, and either a large proector and screen or monitor. Since they were completed in phases, various "generations" of rooms resulted with different audio-visual (AV) equipment. Click on the links below to view a quick reference guide for each Smart Classroom generation. See the spreadsheet below for Smart Classroom locations and information.
- Generation 1- mixer/amplifier for sound (located inside the lectern)
- Generation 2 - speakers
- Generation 3 & 4 - lectern with AV controller, VGA input cable for laptop, ceiling speakers
- Generation 5 - lectern with AV controller with switcher, HDMI input cable for laptop, ceiling speakers
- Generation 6 (ED Bldg) - lectern with touch panel AV controller, SMART Board, HDMI input for laptop, Airplay, room microphone, ceiling speakers, and moveable chairs and tables
- Generation 7 - flat screen monitor, HDMI input cable for laptop
Beginning Fall 2021, the Smart Classroom will no longer be funded and installed, and will eventually phase out. Instead, the new technology classroom will be the Technology Enhanced Classroom (TEC).
Technology Enhanced Classroom (TEC)
"Technology Enhanced Classrooms" or TECs are the newest technology classroom on campus featuring a modular design. A TEC includes standard equipment like a Smart Classroom, but offers better equipment for an enhanced user experience. For instance, a laser projector which performs quieter and provides brighter images that can be used with the room lights on, an ADA compliant lectern with more table space, flat field speakers that more evenly distribute sound throughout the room, centralized video processing and switching controller, and the ability to add functionality in modules without affecting overall operation of the room.
In Fall 2021, a hybrid kit module containing a document camera, graphics tablet, video capture card, video recorder and tripod, and lanyard mic, is being added to the TECs to particularly support hybrid classes as well as socially-distanced in-person, hybrid, and DE modalities. See the spreadsheet below for TEC locations and information. (Related: Visit our Hybrid Classroom Orientation.)
Technology Classroom Types and Locations
Smart Classrooms and TECs are equipped with iMac computers which boot into the Mac OS and use Windows virtual machine.
Since new computers do not have CD/DVD drives, we encourage instructors to use streaming media. The Leeward Library can support you in this area.
Using Windows on the iMac
Specialty rooms are usually not scheduled for classroom instruction and often times have enhanced technologies in the room. Click on the links below to view a room guide for each specialty room.
- Ka'ala Room (GT 105) - lectern with touch panel control, VGA connector for laptop, room microphone, distributed speaker system, two projectors, one monitor, and two electronic screens. This multifunctional room can be used for presentations, meetings, and active training sessions.
- ED 201 (A&B) - lectern with touch panel control, VGA & HDMI connector for laptop, room microphone, distributed speaker system, projector, two monitors, and electronic screen. This multifunctional room can be used for presentations, meetings, and active training sessions.
- ED 301 - credenza with combination touch panel, button control, VGA & HDMI connector for laptop, AppleTV Airplay functionality, room microphones available on request, in-door speaker system linked to outdoor speaker system on roof-top lanai, controlled via wall panel, 55" flat screen monitor. This multifunctional meeting room can be used for small presentations, group gatherings and events.
- ED 104 Classroom - lectern with control, SMART Board, HDMI connector for laptop, video recording capability, speakers, projector, screen, and moveable chairs and tables.
- BE 106 - Business Simulation Lab