Update for Fall 2019 - Using Windows on the iMac
Most of Leeward Community College's teaching and learning spaces have instructional technologies that aid and enhance course instruction.
Smart Classrooms are equipped with iMac computers which boot into the Mac OS and use Windows virtual machine.
Since new computers do not have CD/DVD drives, we encourage instructors to use streaming media. The Leeward Library can support you in this area.
Audio-Visual in Classrooms
All classrooms feature a lectern, computer, speakers, and either a large monitor or projector and screen. Since the learning spaces were completed in phases, there are some subtle differences in the "generations" of rooms. Click on the links below to view a quick reference guide for each Smart Classroom generation. See the list at the bottom of the page for Smart Classrooms and their Generation.
- Generation 1- mixer/amplifier
- Generation 2 - speakers
- Generation 3 & 4 -lectern with control, VGA connector for laptop, ceiling speakers
- Generation 5 - lectern with control, HDMI connector for laptop, ceiling speakers
- Generation 6 (ED Bldg) - lectern with touch panel control, SMART Board, HDMI connector for laptop, Airplay, room microphone, ceiling speakers, and moveable chairs and tables.
Specialty rooms are usually not scheduled for classroom instruction and often times have enhanced technologies in the room. Click on the links below to view a room guide for each specialty room.
- Ka'ala Room (GT-105) - lectern with touch panel control, VGA connector for laptop, room microphone, distributed speaker system, two projectors, one monitor, and two electronic screens. This multifunctional room can be used for presentations, meetings, and active training sessions.
- ED-201 (A&B) - lectern with touch panel control, VGA & HDMI connector for laptop, room microphone, distributed speaker system, projector, two monitors, and electronic screen. This multifunctional room can be used for presentations, meetings, and active training sessions.
- ED-301 - description
- ED-104 Classroom - lectern with control, SMART Board, HDMI connector for laptop, video recording capability, speakers, projector, screen, and moveable chairs and tables.
- BE-106 - Business Simulation Lab
There are also a number of classrooms with some technology funded by the Division. Since this technology has not been standardized, it is best to check with your Division Secretary for the functionality and availability of classrooms not on the above list.
Planning for Future Classrooms
For planning purposes, the estimated cost for equipment and labor for a new Smart Classroom is $30,000. Please consult with the following experts and add them to your Annual Review Planning List.