Learning with Technology
Everything an instructor needs for teaching in the classroom, hybrid, and online.
Learning with Technology for Teaching blog site of workshop sessions, news, resources, and tips primarily focused on teaching in the classroom
Google @ UH Apps is the University of Hawaii's Google for Education suite of Google apps, giving our @hawaii.edu email addresses/accounts access to Google's Core Apps such as Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Sites. Visit Google @ UH at http://hawaii.edu/google.
For accessing your Google @ UH Gmail, bookmark http://gmail.hawaii.edu. Alternatively, if you go to Gmail (https://gmail.com), at the login screen, type your entire @hawaii.edu email address (and no password) to be re-directed to the UH login screen where you'll then enter just your UH username and password.
- Help Center
- Google @ UH Gmail FAQs
- Enable Google @ UH Consumer Apps for more Google apps such as Blogger, YouTube, Google+, and more.
- How to sync your Google @ UH account to your mobile device
- How to create a class calendar using Google Calendar and embed it in Laulima
- How to import your student roster from MyUH into Gmail Contacts
Add the Hawaiian Keyboard
Laulima is the University of Hawaii's collaborative learning management system, powered by Sakai. Visit Laulima at https://laulima.hawaii.edu.
Open Educational Resources (OER)
- OER @ Leeward
- OER LibGuide for Leeward
- OER @ University of Hawaii
- What is Open Educational Resources?
- Why do instructors adopt OER?
- What are students saying about OER?
- How do I find and choose OER?
Universal Design for Learning
- CAST Professional Learning - leading organization that works to expand learning opportunities for all individuals through Universal Design for Learning (UDL).
- The Iris Center - application of UDL in four curricular components (goals, instructional materials, instructional methods, and assessments). Targetted toward K-12
- National Center on Universal Design for Learning - supports the effective implementation of UDL. Site includes Basics on UDL, Advocacy, Implementation, Research, Connecting with others, and Resources.
- UDL on Campus - resources on applying UDL to Higher Education Environment, including examples, videos from UDL practitioners, and UDL course design, Accessible media
- UDL Quotes- to be tweeted, pinned or shared
- Universal Design for Learning: Theory and Practice 1st Edition ebook (free) by David Gordon (Author), Anne Meyer (Author), David H Rose (Author)
For the most current resources, go to the UH Accessibility site
- 10 Tips for Accessible Websites - simple tips you can start with immediately compiled by Partnership on Employment and Accessible Technology
- Accessible Syllabus - Short videos created by Accessible U on practical suggestions to make your syllabus as accessible as possible.
- Formatting an Accessible Syllabus (Accessible U by Univ of Minnesota) video (1:37)
- Accessibility Blog - compiled by Bureau of Internet Accessibility
- Accessibility Checklist from University of Washington is a leader in the Accessible Technology area. This checklist is a great reference for providing accessible web-based resources including electronic documents in Word, PDF, and other formats.
- Accessibility Handbook from Portland Community College. It is a great resource with easy-to-follow guidelines on web accessibility, accessible slides, documents, PDFs, video, audio, and images.
- Accessibility Logo - the new symbol of accessibility was designed by the Graphic Design Unit of the UN Department of Public Information. The Accessibility Logo was created to depict accessibility for persons with disabilities. This includes accessibility of information, services, communication technologies, as well as physical access. The logo symbolizes hope and equal access for all.
- Best Practices for Educators and Instructors Best practices to ensure the accessibility of self-created educational materials and presentations.
- Best Practices for More Accessible Social Media
- How to Write Meaningful Alt-Text - How to convey context and meaning without writing an essay!
- Microsoft Accessible Templates - Word, Excel and PowerPoint Templates that help you make your content accessible to everyone. Start with an "accessible template".
- National Center on Disability and Access to Education Cheatsheets - One-page accessibility resources on MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe, YouTube.
- Poet Image Description - Tool and activities to learn to write effective image descriptions
- Perform OCR on a Scanned Document
- Principles of Accessible Design - key principles of accessible design from National Center on Disability and Access to Education (NCDAE) are a list of easily implemented, basic principles that will ensure greater accessibility of web content.
- UH COE Accessibility Toolkit - modified by UH College of Education, based on an Accessibility Toolkit developed by BCcampus and CAPER-BC. The Accessibility Toolkit is a resources for content creator, instructional designer, educational technologist, librarian, administrator, teaching assistant to create open and accessible digital content.
- University of San Francisco - easy-to-understand website on Accessibility
- Web Accessibility for Online Course Content - from Portland Community College
- Web Accessibility Techniques - from National Disability Authority (NDA) with resources for Developers, Designers, and Content Providers . For most instructors, focus on the Designers and Content Provider sections.
- WebAIM - training and resources to make web content accessible to people with disabilities
- Webinars by 3PlayMedia - 3Play Media is a company that provides closed captioning, transcription, and audio description services. They have recorded webinars that are a helpful resource to learn about accessibility from a wide-range of experts.
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) Quick Reference
Web Accessibility Checkers
- SiteImprove Accessibility Checker (Chrome Extension)
- WAVE (webpages)
- AChecker (webpages)
- WebAim Color Contrast Checker
- ACART color Contrast Checker
- Color Contrast Analyzer (Chrome Extension)
- Grackle Docs (Chrome Extension)
- Grackle Sheets (Chrome Extension)
- Grackle Slides (Chrome Extension)
- UH WCAG 2.0 Compliance Checking (reservation required)