The following information and resources is for Distance Education (DE) instructors. (Looking for information and resources for DE students? Visit Leeward's website for DE students.)
- Baseline Recommended Actions for Distance-Delivered Instruction - A baseline list of recommended actions (including tips and examples) to enact as a contingency for distance-delivered (remote) instruction.
- DE Guidelines - Standards for designing a DE course at Leeward CC.
- Instructor examples and tools to support DE Guideline 5 (Interaction) from our Tech Fun Fridays series (Spring 2020).
- DE Guidelines Self-Assessment - A way to self-reflect and improve your course design based on the DE Guidelines.
- DE Guidelines Self-Assessment Info Session October 26th at 1 PM on Zoom
Meeting ID: 946 9348 0874Passcode: 439765
- DE Peer Evaluation - Based on the DE Guidelines, the peer evaluation will assist your colleagues in evaluating your DE course delivery and may be used in performance dossiers.
- DE Liaisons - Colleagues from each division who will help you teach online, connect with campus resources and colleagues, and build relationships amongst those who regularly teach online. Request assistance from a DE Liaison.
- Professional Development - EMC's workshops, events, and resources to support your professional development using technology and teaching online.
- Interested in teaching online? Contact an Educational Technologist at the EMC or Brent Hirata, Leeward CC DE Coordinator at 455-0484 or email@example.com.
Excellence in Online Teaching Award
Tools and Resources
- Laulima Tips - Laulima is the University of Hawaii's online learning and collaboration system.
- Zoom - Video web conferencing.
- Course Evaluation System (CES) - 16 recommended questions for DE courses. More about CES...
- DE Resources - A collection of best practices, designing online courses, technology for DE, assessment in online courses, and more from UH Manoa General Education.
- Google Meet and Zoom Instructions for Virtual Office
- More resources from the EMC...
DE Policies and Procedures
- DE Policies and Procedures - UH policies and procedures, federal regulations, etc.
Distance Education Reports
- Innovation in the use of distance learning technologies is critical since the technologies for learning at a distance delivery are constantly changing. Understanding the effective use of these technologies in ways that improve learning and enhance teaching is an increasing and ongoing process. The College is committed to encouraging the most effective ways to implement technologies that are congruent with its mission and resources.
- Collaboration and interaction are implicit in the very nature of these technologies. DE eliminates traditional boundaries and enables institutions to find ways to collaborate in serving the needs of students. The College is committed to developing collaboration and interaction in DE courses that are consistent with its mission.
- Quality of DE courses is essential to the College. The use of distance learning technologies must contribute to the quality of courses and the success of students.